Friday, March 28, 2008

Jake's Surgery

Today was the big day for Jacob to get his tubes - hoorah! As nervous as I was about Jake having surgery (it's a very simple procedure but still general anesthesia) I was so excited for today. He has had 8 ear infections since November and has been pretty miserable, although he has been such a trooper through it all! I have high hopes that today's surgery will give him a lot of relief and comfort for the future.

We left the house this morning at 6 am and went to Children's Hospital in St. Louis. We were escorted to Same Day Surgery on the 6th Floor. They were very quick to get us checked in and into a room. They had a DVD player so he got to watch "Cars" before surgery - one of his favorites! He even wore his Mater jammies to the hospital! That didn't last long as he got a fish gown to wear that opened in the back. We waited for about an hour as different people came through to take down information and have me sign papers. At about 7:45 they gave Jake some sleepy medicine and I got to walk with him to the surgery doors. The nurse took him in her arms and carried him back to the OR. I got teary eyed watching them carry my baby away. I went to the waiting area and called John to check in. I had just sat down and opened my book when the doctor called me to say surgery was over and everything went perfect. It was so fast! About five minutes later they called me back to recovery. Jake was very upset and cried for about an hour which they said is sometimes normal from the medications. He calmed down watching "Curious George", another favorite movie. At about 9:45 we got to head home. He was home about an hour and was up playing like nothing happened. Everything went great and couldn't be better. Everyone at Children's Hospital exceeded expectations as usual. That is the most amazing place! Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers for his surgery!

Jake in his Mater jammies watching "Cars"

His pre-op & recovery room

Modeling his fishy hospital gown

He'll be glad he had pants on someday :)

Relaxing after the medication takes effect.


There are no after pictures because he was far too upset for photo ops after the surgery :).

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I'm glad that all went well Valerie! Even though it was such a minor procedure, I'm sure it's nervewracking to have to see him wheeling into an operating room without you. I hope they do the trick and he's done with ear infections!